- If advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Move to a safe area before access is cut off by flood water.
- Avoid areas subject to sudden flooding.
- If you come upon a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, STOP! Turn around and go another way.
- Donot attempt to drive over a flooded road. The depth of water is not always obvious. The road bed may be washed out under the water, and youcould be stranded or trapped.
- Children should NEVER play around high water, storm drains, viaducts, or arroyos.
After the Flood:
- If fresh food has come in contact with flood waters, throw it out.
- Boil drinking water before using. Wells should be pumped out and the water tested for purity before drinking. If in doubt, call your local publichealth officer.
- Seek necessary medical care at the nearest hospital.
- Do not visit disaster areas. Your presence might hamper rescue and other emergency operations.
- Electrical equipment should be checked and dried before being returned to service.
- Use flashlights, not lanterns, torches or matches, to examine buildings. Flammables may be inside.
- Report broken utility lines to appropriate authorities
Last Update Date :- 05-05-2018
Page last updated on: 06-04-2021