What to do?
Before an Earthquake
- Attach shelves, gas cylinders, vases and flower pots to the walls of your home.
- Place heavy or bulky objects on the floor or on the lowest shelves.
- Teach all members of your family how to turn off the electricity, water and gas supply.
During an Earthquake
- Keep calm and keep others calm.
- If you are at home or inside a building or auditorium:
- Protect yourself by staying under the lintel of an inner door, in the corner of a room, under a table or even under a bed.
- If you are in the street:
- Walk towards an open place, in a calm and composed manner. Keep away from buildings, especially old, tall of detached buildings, electricity wires, slopes and walls, which are liable to collapse.
- If you are driving:
- Stop the vehicle away from building, walls, slopes, electricity wires and cables, and stay in the vehicle.
After an Earthquake
- Keep calm, switch on the transistor radio and obey any instructions you hear on the radio.
- Keep away from low banks of rivers. A huge wave may sweep it.
- Expect aftershocks.
- Turn off the water, gas and electricity.
- Use a torch.
- If there is a fire, try to put it out. If you cannot, call the fire brigade.
- Eat something. You will feel better and more capable of helping others.
- If your home is badly damaged you will have to leave it. Collect your disaster kit.
What not to do?
During an Earthquake
- Do not run and do not wander round the streets.
- Do not rush to the doors or exist; never use the lifts; keep well away from windows, mirrors, and furniture.
- Do not smoke and do not light matches or use a cigarette lighter.
- Do not turn on switches. There may be gas leaks or short-circuits.
- If people are seriously injured, do not move them unless they are in danger.
- Immediately clean up any inflammable products that may have spilled (alcohol, paint, etc.)
- Ifyou know that people have been buried, tell the rescue teams. Do notrush and do not worsen the situation of injured persons or your ownsituation.
- Avoid places where there are loose electric wires and do not touch any metal object in contact with them
- Donot drink water from open containers without having examined it andfiltered it through a sieve, a filter or an ordinary clean cloth.
- Do not re-enter badly damaged buildings and do not go near damaged structures.
- Do not walk around the streets to see what have happened. Keep clear of the streets to enable rescue vehicles to pass.
Last Update Date :- 05-05-2018
Page last updated on: 21-08-2020